I purchased two of these shelves to hold my girlfriend’s rather extensive book collection. First of all, i like how large these shelves are. They are relatively easy to construct and i love the brown color. The backing has some noticeable creases, but i was able to cover those by strategic placement of items on the selves. However, for something that is meant to hold books, the shelves start to bend underneath the weight of those books. The shelves are made of that composite wood material that is compressed together to form a board, which makes them less sturdy than a chunk of actual plywood. If you are looking for shelves to display some fun odds and ends, this would be prefect (assuming you can hide the creases in the back); however, if you are looking for a bookshelf, keep looking. This is not the product you are looking for. I’ve attached some pictures to try to capture the bending. While you can tell there is some bending in the pictures, i didn’t have a long enough straight edge to show the full extent of the issue.
I’m a stay home mom so it’s much easy to order it through amazon. My husband questioned it but i found lots of good reviews so i gave a try. It only took 2 hours to assemble it by myself, and i also bought the wall stickers from amazon to make more fun. My son just loves his new reading corner.
Great for the pricewas looking for an inexpensive way to add bookcases to my daughters playroom. These served its purpose just fine. They were easy to put together and all pieces were intact. I think for the price, they are definetly worth it. At this price point, i was pleased with what i got.
- Nice looking shelves that should not hold books.
- What I was Expecting! Great Price!
- Sturdy, easy to assemble, and looks great!
This bookshelf is a great purchase. I was able to assemble it in about a half hour, and it’s very sturdy, especially for its height. It even came with extra pieces of hardware (nails and such). It’s a great color and looks more expensive than it is. Overall, one of the best furniture purchases i’ve ever made.
I didn’t look too carefully at the dimensions or weight, but the 5-shelf bookcase is taller than me and was a hassle to lug up to my condo for installation. One of the panels arrived chipped (the lower front-facing panel) even though the box was intact. If you are picking this item up at a different shipping location, make sure your car has fold-down rear seats with a front seat that can be pushed forward – because it is a very long and heavy box. If you are bringing it up stairs or just moving it, it’s a 2-person lift package. I was able to move it myself and i’m by no means a strong person, but for safety reasons i recommend having at least another person to help. So overall, had i known or paid closer attention to the dimensions, i would have opted for the 4 shelf bookcase. Overall: 5/5 starswell-made, not too hard to install, just unwieldy to move around.
Features of South Shore 5-Shelf Storage Bookcase, Royal Cherry
- Make sure this fits
by entering your model number.
- VERSATILE STORAGE: Instantly organize and display books, papers, toys or decorative items in 5 open and easily accessible adjustable storage spaces.
- MODERN SIMPLICITY: With sleek contemporary styling, the bookcase features clean lines which will make it an elegant addition to any existing living room, office or bedroom decor.
- GENEROUS CAPACITY: The practical bookcase features a combination of 3 adjustable shelves supporting 25 lbs each, and a single fixed shelf supporting up to 35 lbs in weight.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Made in North America with non-toxic laminated particleboard, this piece of furniture meets or exceeds all North American safety standards.
- 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Shop with confidence knowing that we proudly stand behind this piece of furniture with a full 5-year limited warranty. Assembly is required.